Setting goals is key to any form of success. You might have heard of SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely) but most of mine aren’t as clear cut.
I’m not setting a goal weight, although I know a rough amount of weight I need to lose to be healthy (around 250-280lbs). Doctors would probably say I need to weigh around 150 lbs based on BMI, but we know that’s not a great measure anymore. It’s outdated and there are so many factors it doesn’t account for (such as the fact muscle weighs more than fat! It will say some of the fittest athletes are obese simply because their muscle mass makes them ‘too heavy’ for their height! Rant over). Because I want to be STRONG not SKINNY, I anticipate ‘weighing’ too heavy for the doctors’ liking, because I want to have more muscle mass. (That’s why fat loss is a better term than weight loss.)
8 of My Goals
- Fit in a plane seat. I haven’t been abroad with my husband and we’ve been together almost 6 years! I am eager to go on our honeymoon, finally, and I want to do so comfortably, without worry of not fitting and with the ability to do the seatbelt up without struggle. Malta, Italy, Greek Islands, Hawaii… so many places we want to go. I’ve also had to decline invitations from friends and business associates!
- Drive. My car is tiny – possibly the smallest car ever. At the moment I can barely do my seatbelt up in the driver’s seat and I can’t fit my tummy and legs in. I am so looking forward to having the freedom and independence again!
- Wear stylish clothes. I want to buy clothes I like, clothes that make me feel good and look good – not just buying what covers me and anything that fits. I want to rediscover my love for fashion and shopping.
- Go out places with my husband, friends and family. Right now my walking has been so limited that I can’t go places – museums, historical sites, gardens and landmarks are all calling my name!
- Feel sexy again. I certainly don’t feel sexy right now. I want to find this again, for myself. I want to have that confidence and be able to wear pretty lingerie.
- Wear my engagement and wedding rings. Right now my fingers are still too big. I took them off 6 months ago because I was putting on so much weight but I REFUSED to get them made bigger. That would have meant accepting and staying obese.
- Have beauty treatments. I want to be able to go to salons and actually not worry about breaking their massage table! Oh it will be a joy. I even look forward to be able to have waxing done.
- Not worry about restaurant chairs. Right now, (well, pre-Covid) I have to base my acceptance/declining going to a restaurant based on whether the chairs in said establishment have arms, because I don’t fit in them. That will be such a joy!
These goals aren’t a number, but I think they are so much better. They mean reclaiming my life.
What goals do you have?
Get my free ‘7 Keys to Kickstarting Big Weight Loss’ pdf here!
Back to Blog Home